Celebrate The Summer Months Safely!
As the summer heats up and Independence Day comes and goes, fireworks- both legal and illegal- will be sold by the millions of pounds throughout the United States. in fact, in 2015 the U.S purchased more than 278 million pounds of fireworks, spending nearly $900 million on the explosives along the way.
Despite firework's bad reputation in terms of safety, statistics show legal consumers fireworks are being used more responsibly than ever. According to the American Pyrotechnics Association (APA), fire-work related injuries reported per 100,000 pounds of fireworks purchased.
According to the APA, the increased safety is due to the decrease in illegal fireworks and the increase in safety awareness. The National council on Fireworks Safety has the following tips for a fun, safe fireworks display:
- Only use fireworks outdoors
- Be aware of and obey all local laws regarding use of fireworks
- Children under 16 should only use fireworks under adult supervision
- Always have a bucket of water or a hoes nearby. If conditions are excessive dry, do not use fireworks
- Alcohol and fireworks DO NOT mix
- Parents should pay special attention to children using sparklers. Sparklers can reach temperature up 10 1,800 degrees Fahrenheit. Children should not throw or play games with sparklers.